Nonprofit Law/501c3 donating

Question
Someone donated 10000.00 to our organization, a 501 c3. we would like to earmark that donation  for medical payments to an individual who will have years of medical expenses not covered by insurance or Medicaid.  The individual is  the grand daughter of one of our members.

Answer
A 501(c)(3) organization needs to serve public, not private interests. Section 1.501(c)(3)-1(d)(1)(ii) of the regulations provides that an organization is not organized or operated exclusively for one or more exempt purposes unless it serves a public rather than a private interest. To meet the requirement of this subsection, the burden of proof is on the organization to show that it is not organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, such as designated individuals, the creator or his family, shareholders of the organization, or persons controlled, directly or indirectly, by such private interests. http://goo.gl/6S6fc

The IRS does not, however, prohibit a disinterested board from deciding to grant funds for the medical care of a relative of a member of the organization if the beneficiary is poor or a "low-income" family. http://goo.gl/pKwiY

The IRS would look at all of the facts and circumstances of the situation, such as the total amount of grants of the organization in relationship to the amount of the grants to the relative of a member and how many members your organization has.  You did not inform me as to the total amount of grants your organization expects to give this year, nor whether the grand-daughter and her family (if she is a minor)are in the "low-income" family classification.  But if the facts circumstances are not highly favorable to your organization, which I doubt, then such a grant to the grand-daughter of one of your members would jeopardize the organization's 501(c)(3) status.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic