Nonprofit Law/Appreciation

Question
Is it legal for a 501c3 theatre boosters to give Professional Appreciation ($25 - $100 gift cards depending on service, $25 flowers and show tshirt) to school employees at the end of 2 months of volunteering after school for our school's theatre productions? The boosters provides no other payment to these school employees.  We do pay Professional Fees ($100 - $500) to other individuals who are not employees of the school that are hired to do things like choreography, play the piano or do the sound/lights.  Are either the Professional Appreciation or Professional Fees considered a private benefit to an individual and not allowed?  One of the previous posts discussed it could depend whether the appreciation gifts were "substantial".  We give very few Professional Appreciations so this situation is close to 100% of all appreciation, but a small portion of the overall expenses of the productions.

Answer
"Volunteers" who were promised gifts - taxable income Oregon case
http://goo.gl/F0OKL
which is a newspaper story describing a situation when the State
determined that organizations that promised "volunteers" gifts over
the value of $50 per quarter were subject to state wage regulations
for employees. That was an Oregon case but other state laws are
similar. That case was about a sports foundation's "volunteers"
being promised a season pass if they work roughly two dozen days
helping put on races at the ski area.

It is not an issue of private benefit as long as the compensation is not above what is reasonable for the work performed.  It is only an issue of employment taxes needing to be reported and paid and possibly wage and hour (minimum wage violations), but only if the practice is so regular that the workers would then expect the gift cards.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic