Nonprofit Law/Discriminatory Practice by 501 (c) (3)

Question
I am currently a member of the military and my family recently ran into an issue with a 501 (c) (3) Animal Rescue Company.  Essentially, we had begun to search for a pet dog to adopt and stumbled upon a specific dog rescued by a 501 (c) (3) company.  When we began to fill out the adoption application, the application specifically states that they will not adopt out to Military Families.  Is this legal?  Although military personnel are not a "protected class" it seems discriminatory.  How can our federal government provide them with a tax exemption, yet if you are a member of the Federal Government's military, you cannot adopt from them?

Answer
The IRS has regulations prohibiting 501(c)(3) organization status to schools that discriminate on the basis of race.  As for other forms of discrimination, they would not be allowed if they are found to be against the public interest.

---Start of Excerpt--
Section 501(c)(3) therefore must be analyzed and construed within
the framework of the Internal Revenue Code and against the
background of the congressional purposes. Such an examination
reveals unmistakable evidence that, underlying all relevant parts
of the Code, is the intent that entitlement to tax exemption
depends on meeting certain common-law standards of charity -
namely, that an institution seeking tax-exempt status must serve a
public purpose and not be contrary to established public policy.

This "charitable" concept appears explicitly in 170 of the Code.
That section contains a list of organizations virtually identical
to that contained in 501(c)(3). It is apparent that Congress
intended that list to have the same meaning in both [461 U.S. 574,
587] sections. In 170, Congress used the list of organizations in
defining the term "charitable contributions." On its face,
therefore, 170 reveals that Congress' intention was to provide tax
benefits to organizations serving charitable purposes. The form of
170 simply makes plain what common sense and history tell us: in
enacting both 170 and [461 U.S. 574, 588]   501(c)(3), Congress
sought to provide tax benefits to charitable organizations, to
encourage the development of private institutions that serve a
useful public purpose or supplement or take the place of public
institutions of the same kind.
---End of Excerpt--
http://pages.citebite.com/i5e6s9l9ninh

From the U.S. Supreme Court Case, Bob Jones University v. United
States, 461 U.S. 574 (1983) which decided the 501(c)(3)
organization status may not be granted to racially discriminatory
schools.

The 501(c)(3) organization may consider the welfare of an animal is jeopardized by the family moving around and they may have decided that military families move around a lot.  If you can explain that you are not like that, then possibly they would allow you to adopt.  Otherwise, they may have a valid reason for their policy of not allowing adoptions by military families and that would then mean that their discrimination is not illegal. I  will inform you that you may be discriminated against but most types of discrimination are legal.  For example, federal tax laws
provide for higher tax rates for taxpayers with higher income. Unless the reason for the discrimination is based upon race, nationality, religion, or one of the other few prohibited reasons, an exempt entity may discriminate.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic