Nonprofit Law/dissolution of 501 (c) (3)

Question
Hi

Our 501 c 3 Search and Rescue team has to dissolve (we can no longer afford paying workers comp) How long to we have to take care of donating our assets and filing paperwork.  Thanks so much for doing this for people!

Kathy

Answer
As you wrote that you were in West Virginia, if the organization is a corporation it would need to comply with the the West Virginia Nonprofit Corporation Act which is available at:
http://law.justia.com/codes/west-virginia/2011/chapter31e/
and specifically Article 13 as to dissolution
http://law.justia.com/codes/west-virginia/2011/chapter31e/article13/
Note down at 31E-13-1309 that the dissolution will not be granted until the assets have been completed. I don't see any time limit when the organization would be "in the process" of dissolution.  Therefore, you would be considered an active corporation until you have been dissolved by the Secretary of State's Office.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic