Nonprofit Law/Non-profit corporation v. unincorporated non-profit ass.

Question
Mr. Mechanic
I am attempting to help some likeminded parents at my children's grammar school in CA to create a non-profit to raise funds for our school.
I am wondering if there is any reason to shield the prospective directors and officers through incorporation.
I have helped a few sports related organizations gain 501c3 status and felt that incorporation was prudent in light of the physical dangers inherent in the organizations activities.

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issue is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I may be able to direct you:

Directors and officers of unincorporated nonprofit associations in California have certain liability protection. See 18605 of the California Corporations Code, "A member, director, or agent of a nonprofit association is not liable for a debt, obligation, or liability of the association solely by reason of being a member, director, officer, or agent."
http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2005/corp/18605-18640.html

You would also be interested to read down at 18620.  

I don't see any additional protection offered by incorporation, but you can check with a California attorney.  I am a New York attorney. If you find some case law in California that gives directors and officers of a California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation more protection than they would find with an unincorporated nonprofit association, please share that with me so that I can then give that information to others writing from California with similar questions.

Harvey Mechanic,
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic