Nonprofit Law/non-profit donating to another non-profit

Question
Our non-profit organization is very small-taking in less than $5,000 per year. We only have 3 regular donors and a few occasional donors. We would like to donate to another non-profit in the same category we are in but did not know if this was legal.Thank you for your time, Gloria

Answer
It appears that your organization may not have received a determination letter from the IRS that the organization is exempt under section 501(c)(3) and, if that is correct, let me know, as then I will need to advise you of certain other requirements.  But, as to your specific question, if you are organized and operating as a 501(c)(3) organization you may make grants to other, similarly situated organizations as long as you monitor that the funds are being used for charitable, educational or religious purposes.

In fact, Revenue Ruling 56-304 has:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Organizations privately established and funded as charitable
foundations which are organized and actively operated to carry on
one or more of the purposes specified in section 501(c)(3) of the
Internal Revenue Code of 1954, and which otherwise meet the
requirements for exemption from Federal income tax are not
precluded from making distributions of their funds to individuals,
provided such distributions are made on a true charitable basis in
furtherance of the purposes for which they are organized.

However, organizations of this character which make such
distributions should maintain adequate records and case histories
to show the name and address of each recipient of aid; the amount
distributed to each; the purpose for which the aid was given; the
manner in which the recipient was selected and the relationship,
if any, between the recipient and (1) members, officers, or
trustees of the organization, (2) a grantor or substantial
contributor to the organization or a member of the family of
either, and (3) a corporation controlled by a grantor or
substantial contributor, in order that any or all distributions
made to individuals can be substantiated upon request by the
Internal Revenue Service.
---End of Excerpt---
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rr56_304.pdf
(cited with approval in IRS instructions for Form 1023 Application
for Exemption on pdf page 23 middle column) at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1023.pdf)

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic