Nonprofit Law/Nonprofit event

We want to make an event on a valentines day in Nyc streets, by asking a 2$ donation and giving heart shaped balloons. Is it legal to do that as long as we are not selling them? Do we need permissions?

I have an area at's site called where I answer questions relating to nonprofit organizations at
and you can see there the very positive feedbacks that I have received for my answering over 12,000 questions since the year 2000. By "we" are you referring to a New York Not-for-Profit Corporation. Has the organization received a determination letter from the IRS that it is exempt under section 501(c)(3)? After you give me that information I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Member of New York Bar

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.