Nonprofit Law/Redirecting solicited donations

Question
My 503c raised solicited funds for a specific educational purpose.
We now want to redirect funds to technology
Equipment instead.
There is a significant no segment of donors.
The plan is to vote via paper fr donors.  Is majority vote okay to change or is this misappropriation of solicited
Funds?

Thank you

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issue is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I will inform you that, generally, donors give up any authority over donated items and funds, unless they had a specific signed agreement with the nonprofit with a reverter clause or at least a letter indicating the conditional nature of the gift.

This an issue called "enforceability of a restricted gift to a
nonprofit organization"

A case that discusses the issues is at:
http://goo.gl/YQB5s
starting in the middle of the first column.

Although that was a Connecticut case, most states would have
similar treatment.  In other words, a donor who has made a
completed charitable gift to a nonprofit organization does not even
have standing in a court to bring an action to enforce the terms of
that gift unless the gift instrument contained an express
reservation of control over the disposition of the gift, such as a
right of reverter or a right to redirect. A right of reverter means
that the donation would be refunded if the charity breached the
agreement.

I do not know of any state's case law that addresses
this issue differently than Connecticut other than, New York, or
Minnesota.

You may want to inform the donors, individually, of your issues and your desire to
use the funds in another way and request their permission. See
also:
http://bit.ly/3lPY5
"The Importance of Respecting Donor Wishes" from Guidestar
which is not in reference to the law but is in reference to
maintaining good relationships with existing donors.

Your idea for a vote of donors is strange.  What would you do if you are outvoted?

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic