Nonprofit Law/Can I sell product to my own Non-profit

Question
I currently own a "for profit" company that sells blankets.  I would like to open a non profit 501c3 that donates blankets to soldiers over seas.  I plan on purchasing the blankkets from my for profit company from the donations to my non profit.
I want to make sure this is allowed before I start getting the non profit established.

Thanks for any and all help!

Answer
The IRS would not grant 501(c)(3) organization status unless the 501(c)(3) organization purchases the blankets at your cost and, even then there may be issues if they think that your for-profit company is benefiting from the operation.

Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) which is available at:
http://goo.gl/7lFll
has, in part, that the 501(c)(3) organization must be "operated
exclusively for religious, charitable ...or educational purposes
... no part of the net earnings of which  inures to the benefit of
any private shareholder or individual".

That term is defined in regulations 26 C.F.R. 1.501(a)-1(c) "The
words `private shareholder or individual' in section 501 refer to
persons having a personal and private interest in the activities of
the organization."
http://goo.gl/GtQpz on the right column of page 2

I would be willing to work on your matter further, but I would need to spend a substantial amount of time in analyzing the proposed budget and that would be beyond the scope of my offer of free services.  If you want to inquire about hiring me for such work, please contact me directly to the email address below.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic