Nonprofit Law/State vs. Federal status

Question
I have received a solicitation for a donation from a non for profit organization. According to the website for the organization, contributions are tax deductible. This group has definitely registered as nonprofit with our state (Oklahoma) but is not listed on the IRS website as an exempt organization.  Is the claim that my contribution is tax deductible fraudulent?

Answer
 Publication 78, Cumulative List of Organizations described in
Section 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, is a list of
organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable
contributions. This online version is offered to help you conduct
a more efficient search of these organizations.
http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/

When the application for exemption is approved, then the
organization is listed in IRS Publication 78.

From the IRS:
"Some entities eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions may not be listed in Exempt Organizations Select Check (Pub. 78 data)." The list below on that page describes some of the organizations. If that Oklahoma organization is not in any of those categories, then their statement is either fraudulent or a material misrepresentation.

You did not ask, but even if the organization is in one of those classes of organizations that does not need to be listed in Publication 78, donations to them may not be accepted by the IRS.
On page 7 of
http://ftp.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicm88.pdf
"Advance assurance of deductibility is only available to an
organization that applies for and receives recognition of exempt
status from the Service and that is listed in Publication No.
78."

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic