Nonprofit Law/tuition discount and 1099

Question
QUESTION: A 501(c)(3) non-profit school offers tuition discounts to families in financial need. The parents that receive the tuition discounts volunteer time at the school performing miscellaneous jobs - cleaning, etc.  Do these parents need a 1099 reporting the tuition discount?

ANSWER: I don't understand why the parents are working at the school.  Is it because they expect to only receive the tuition discount if they work?  It appears so from the way that you explained it.  Let me know. After you give me that information I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: The school is a family cooperative.  The only employees of the school are the teachers and administrator.  All of the families in the cooperative perform all of the other work to operate the school.  Families receiving tuition discounts commit to fulfilling specific tasks/needs for the school year.

Answer
The IRS has instructed
"Do not use Form 1099-MISC to report scholarship or fellowship grants. Scholarship or fellowship grants that are taxable to the recipient because they are paid for teaching, research, or other
services as a condition for receiving the grant are considered wages and must be reported on Form W-2.
www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099msc/ar02.html#d0e311

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic