Nonprofit Law/volunteer coaches and their kids playing for free

Question
My question is about volunteer staff and allowing their kids to play for free( no dues).  We have a handful of volunteer coaches and we currently let their respective children play without paying dues.  Is this legal?  We are a 501(c)3 organization in VA.

Answer
"True volunteer firefighters do not receive, or have an
expectation of receiving, compensation."
page 9 of
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/win03_fslg_ng.pdf

In any case the use of the term "volunteer" generally has no significance in
applying the tax law....

A volunteer is an employee if an entity has the right to direct and
control the volunteer's performance, not only as to the results to
be accomplished, but also as to the methods by which the results
are accomplished.  It is the "right" to control, even if the entity
does not exercise the right, that is important. Many factors in an
employment relationship have to be considered before a decision can
be made as to whether the entity has the right to direct and
control.

If an entity does not retain the right to direct and control the
details and means of performing the work, the volunteer worker is
not an employee [would be an independent contractor].
--end of excerpt  ---
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/fringe_benefit_fslg.pdf on page 74

That publication refers to Fringe benefits and most, like provision of services to family members, are taxable as employment income. On page 16 we see an exclusion "For services, no more than 20% of the price charged to the general public for the
service.  IRC 132(c)(1)(B)".  The rest is taxable.

A 501(c)(3) organization may pay workers with cash or fringe benefits, as long as the amount is no more than what is reasonable for the work.  www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopici93.pdf on page 10.  But such value is employment income and needs to be reported.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic