Nonprofit Law/Volunteer time as a non cash asset on balance sheet

Question
I am the Director of Development and a board member for a small non profit that is building its net worth. I volunteer 100% of my time, often 60 hours a week. I keep good records of my hours. I heard somewhere that my time can be reported as a non cash asset on our balance sheet to increase the asset base of our 501(c)3.  This would be helpful as we apply for grants and funding is based on net worth.  Can you tell me if this is true and where I would find this information in the IRS.

Answer
I never heard that volunteer hours could be accounted, in any reasonable accounting system, as an asset.  I have read that the value of the hours may be reported in the Form 990 series, though.

In the instructions to Form 990-EZ we see in the discussion of line
1 (Revenue) they have, "Reporting line 1 amounts in accordance with
SFAS 116 (ASC 958), Accounting for Contributions Received and
Contributions Made, generally is acceptable (though not required)
for Form 990 and Form 990-EZ purposes, but the value of donated
services or use of materials, equipment, or facilities may not be
reported. However, state law may require it."
http://goo.gl/txPKU

and further down, "Do not include the value of services donated to
the organization (such as the value of donated advertising space or
broadcast air time), or of the free use of property (materials,
equipment, or facilities) as contributions on line 1. However, for
the optional reporting of those amounts, see the instructions for
donated services in Part III."
http://goo.gl/zkHcy

The discussion about that in Part III is at:
http://goo.gl/Y7O0o:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
  The organization can report the amount of any donated services, or use of materials, equipment, or facilities it received or utilized for a specific program service.
      Disclose the applicable amounts of any donated services, etc., on the lines for the narrative description of the appropriate program service.
      Do not include these amounts in the expense column in Part III.

---End of Excerpt---
Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic