Nonprofit Law/Automatic Revocation of NP Status/ Application for Reinstatement vs. Dissolution

Question
Posed the ? on search and came to a similar response you gave in 2007.  We are deep into the process of applying for reinstatement.  Some members say, "Let's just dissolve and start under another name."  IRS advised that we need to file 1120's for the years we were non-exempt. Would we still have to file 1120's for the non-exempt years if we dissolved? My thinking is you just can't walk away and think you can reapply when nothing but the name is changing  Thank you.

Answer
You wrote, "IRS advised that we need to file 1120's for the years we were non-exempt".  Are you referring to a specific communication from the IRS which indicated that they knew, at that time your organizations's name or was it simply a response to a general question about such organizations that had their status automatically revoked? After you give me that information I will reply further.

But I will inform you that late filing of the Form 1120s involves not only the possibility of having income taxes due for those years, but substantial penalties for later filing (plus interest).

If your organization dissolves under state law that does change the tax liability of the organization with the IRS for previous periods.

In any future application of a different entity the Form 1023 has questions on "Schedule G. Successors to Other Organizations"
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1023.pdf (pdf page 27).  That would certainly wake up the IRS to the previous organization's tax liabilities.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic