Nonprofit Law/Transfer Funds Outside the United States

Question
QUESTION: My wife has a 501(c)3 charity and has been blocked by western union and money gram from sending any more money to its pastors in Haiti and India.

Is there any other way for her to send its pastors overseas any money? Does she have to do anything else for the IRS?

ANSWER: Why doesn't she use wire transfers from the charity to pastors in Haiti and India who would set up their own bank accounts in those countries.

As for the IRS, have her see the IRS publication at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/0504031.pdf for details about international grants to and international activities of U.S. exempt organizations, and, especially page 3-4 about grants to foreign organizations starting on page 3 at "Deductibility - Control Rules".

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: The pastors are in desolate areas where there are no banks and they have no means of long distance transportation.

Thank you for the link. I will have her check it.

Answer
I may be able to reply further, but I would want copies of the text of messages from Western Union and Moneygram which contain the reasons why they instituted their blockages.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic