Nonprofit Law/job posting

do non profit organizations have to post job openings.

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for relevant IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issue is not dealt with, nor under the jurisdiction, of the IRS. Even though this forum is not for such employment law issues, I will inform you that there is no difference between the way the governments deal with nonprofits or for-profit in such areas. Generally there is no requirement to post job openings, but there are situations when it would be required, such as when the U.S. Labor Department, in the process for Alien Labor Certification, requires the posting for the job before there would be granted Labor Certification. Also, under certain contracts, for example, for contracts with a Federal Agency, that contract may require the posting of job offers, but not otherwise.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.