Nonprofit Law/Members

Question
I know that tax-exempt nonprofits must have 3 directors.  Is there a minimum number of members?  It seems like if there is just one member then functionally they could use the directors as proxies to exert total control since they would unilaterally "elect" them.

Also, does NC have any of the complications of the Model Nonprofit Corporation Act?  I know that the red tape of that model law has kept many corporations from electing to be membership organizations.

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for relevant IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations.

Your issues are controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I may be able to direct you.

First, there is no requirement that nonprofits have 3 members on their governing board.  Chapter 55A of the North Carolina Code, the North Carolina Nonprofit Corporation Act, on the law.onecle.com site is available at http://goo.gl/lghKg and, specifically, see 55A-8-03 which provides, "(a)A board of directors shall consist of one or more natural persons, with the number specified in or fixed in accordance with the articles of incorporation or bylaws."

Therefore, I don't know how you concluded, "that tax-exempt nonprofits must have 3 directors".  If you give me the URL, I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic