Nonprofit Law/Non-profit mileage deduction

Question
As an officer for a non-profit I do a lot of traveling in my car all over the state. The IRS states you can claim a deduction for the business mileage if you are not reimbursed for the expense. Currently, the non-profit cannot reimburse me for any of my mileage as it would bankrupt the company. Can I deduct all of the mileage on my taxes? Will I need to be able to show that there was a denial of reimbursement for this mileage?

Answer
See IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations" which is available
at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf
starting at the bottom of page 4 under the heading "Out-of-Pocket
Expenses in Giving Services" we see that you could deduct the
unreimbursed expenses that you paid for the use of the charitable
organization when the expenses you had only because of the
services you gave.  The details are found on page 19 of the
record-keeping requirements in the middle column under the
heading "Out-of-Pocket Expenses" where you see you would need the
organization's written acknowledgment to deduct.  Details of the
acknowledgement are also found on pdf page 11 at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1771.pdf

You do not need to be able to show that there was a denial of reimbursement for the mileage.

The charitable rate of 14 cents refers to unreimbursed
expenses. http://snipurl.com/dqqw4
which is Section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code that deals only
with charitable deductions (for, example for unreimbursed
expenses on behalf of charities).

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic