Nonprofit Law/Refund on start-up funds?

Question
I agreed to pay half of the filling fees for a newly start up coalition of Armed Forces associations the money was to be use for the 501c filling fee.  I wrote a check for $425.00, half of the fee.  The coalition has not filled the forms yet.  I since resigned from the coalition due to s disagreement with one of the members based on lack of commitment to promises made.  There was no funds ever paid to house veterans without homes at a local hotel, fee was $14.00 per plus breakfast for the vets and family.  The hotel end up loose money and I tried to help by having the coalition pay the hotel what the vets owed, total of $4500. 00.  We could have accomplished and saved the program.  Now I resigned from the coalition due the negative, arrogant remarks made to me by a member of the coalition, can I ask for a refund on the money?

Answer
You may certainly ask for a refund.  But, generally, donors give up any authority over donated items and funds, unless they had a specific signed agreement with the nonprofit with a reverter clause or at least a letter indicating the conditional nature of the gift.

This an issue called "enforceability of a restricted gift to a
nonprofit organization"

A case that discusses the issues is at:
http://goo.gl/YQB5s
starting in the middle of the first column.

Although that was a Connecticut case, most states would have
similar treatment.  In other words, a donor who has made a
completed charitable gift to a nonprofit organization does not even
have standing in a court to bring an action to enforce the terms of
that gift unless the gift instrument contained an express
reservation of control over the disposition of the gift, such as a
right of reverter or a right to redirect. A right of reverter means
that the donation would be refunded if the charity breached the
agreement.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic