Nonprofit Law/Removing liability from non-profit when I leave

Question
QUESTION: I have a 501(c)4 in California which is a historical base ball league.  I am leaving the Board of Directors and am just going to be a regular member (player).  As I start to divorce myself from this non-profit, what do I need to do to transfer "ownership" to the new President.  The new board of directors has been voted and ratified.  I would now like to change the address, contact details, and "ownership" to the new President as he requested.  I want to remove my liability and all connection to the league, but we want it to continue and thrive.  CA Board of Equalization seems to say I need to dissolve and have new "owner" file new.  Can you clarify?

ANSWER: No one owns a nonprofit organization.  The Board of Directors (and sometimes with approval of voting members) decides who are the responsible persons.  You should notify the Board in writing of your resignation and ask them to acknowledge and then provide you copies of the notifications that they or the new officers provided to different government agencies as to the new address and contact information.  Give them a couple of weeks.  If they do not comply, then let me know and I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

QUESTION: That won't be an issue.  So then the contact/address change function will take care of this for me.  Once the this information is acknowledged from the State, I am no longer tied to it in any way, is that correct?  (ie the non-profit can continue on without me)

Answer
I don't know what State your corporation is incorporated in, but the State may not acknowledge the new filings (although they may be searchable online). In any case, once the State and IRS receive the notifications, you are no longer tied to the organization for future activities of the organization.  The nonprofit continues without you even before the organization notifies the governmental entities.  It continues once the Board of Directors accepts your resignation and/or appoints a replacement.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic