You are here:

Nonprofit Law/youth soccer club as 501 c 3


Local youth soccer club is set up as 501 c 3.  Club rarely gets donations and operates on a budget where fees are collected from families so their kids can play Select (Travel) soccer.  Board rarely meets, decisions seem to be made by one person in particular.

What are the rights of the parents/ fee-paying participants with respect to yearly filings, board meetings, etc.?  HOW can we get the Board changed, as it seems to be self-perpetuating based on current by-laws (President for life, Secretary for life, etc.)???

States allow nonprofits to incorporate either as a membership organization or as a non-membership organization. When it is a non-membership organization, there are no voting members and the Board of Directors has control.  To answer your question I would need to know which type of corporation the club has used and that would be in their articles of incorporation. After you give me that information I will reply further. If a membership corporation, are the parents members?

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]