Nonprofit Law/Golf cart

Question
After 2 yrs helping baseball I formed a 501 c3 baseball booster with booster insurance but it only was for 1 yr - then coach was fired by new principal after coaching there for 4 years. That last yr coach asked me to get a cart thru my golf contacts.  I bought  the cart with my $200. The  sch ath dir said I had to pay a third of value  of cart to school. I paid the third thru booster acct.
After the firing I closed booster acct then gave the cart to the coach.  After 5 months the principal said the cart belonged to the sch and picked it up at coaches new job. This was with the new supt approval. I have the org receipt.  They have a copy. This alhambra sch district is very strict on title 9 after having lost a big case in court.  The cart was never presented to the sch board or school officially.  I thought it was mine.  I would really appreciate your opinion on this. Thank you so much

Answer
A 501(c)(3) booster organization may not give equipment to a private individual like a coach. Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) which is available at:
http://goo.gl/7lFll (on page 2, first column)
has, in part, that the 501(c)(3) organization must be "operated
exclusively for religious, charitable ...or educational purposes
... no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of
any private shareholder or individual".  "Earnings" refers also to grants of equipment.

You wrote that part of the purchase of the cart was through the 501(c)(3) organization's account, and, therefore, the cart could not be yours.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic