You are here:

Nonprofit Law/Non Profit fundraising


Can a 501(C)(6) org. related to a supporting 501(C)(3) org. solicit its membership for donations to the 501(C)(3)without
state registrations for the 501(C)(6)?  I understand the
501(C)(3) would have to be registerd most states.  The trade
association has members in all states and D.C.

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. As you explained correctly, the issues as to registration as elements of state law and many states may have different regulations.  

But I will give you some information.
has links to the state offices that regulate charitable organizations and charitable solicitations.

I will also inform you that I have never seen any regulation in any jurisdiction that would require a 501(c)(6) organization to register when it is only soliciting donations for a 501(c)(3) organization from its own membership and it has the written approval of such by the 501(c)(3) organization and the donation checks are made out to the 501(c)(3) organization.

I suggest that the 501(c)(6) organization research the regulations in the state in which it has its office as that is the jurisdiction that is much more likely to be involved in any enforcement action.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.