Nonprofit Law/Non Profit fundraising

Question
Can a 501(C)(6) solicit funds for a related 501(C)(3)if all
donations go to the 501(C)(3) and they only solicit from
their membership?  Does the 501(c)(6) have to be registered
as well as the 501(C)(3) in the states where solicitation
occurred?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. A 501(c)(6) organization, under federal law, may solicit donations from their membership when all of the funds will be going to a 501(c)(3) organization.

Your issues are mostly controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I may be able to direct you. www.after-prom.org/state_charity_contacts.html has links to the state offices that regulate charitable organizations and charitable solicitations.

It may make a difference whether the donors make out their checks to the 501(c)(3) organization and it also may be relevant if the c6 has a written agreement from the c3 as to the solicitation. I do not know of any states that would require the c3 to register only because a c6 is soliciting donations on its behalf, without compensation, but you would need to check as to the stae where the c3 is located to find out if that state, like California does, requires the c3's that are charities to register after they have received the funds. http://oag.ca.gov/charities

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic