Nonprofit Law/nonprofit law - unrelated business

Question
can a 501(c)(3) own,operate a for-profit business ?

Answer
Owning a business that is a separate entity is no problem for a nonprofit organization.  However, if it runs an active business within its own corporate structure, that is generally called unrelated business. IRS Publication 598 "Tax on Unrelated Business Income of Exempt
Organizations" at
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p598.pdf
explains that,  if products or services are not directly related to
the charitable, educational, religious or other purpose or function
constituting the basis for its exemption (other than for production
of income), then the activities are generally taxable.

Their exact wording is found in the middle column of page 3
"Unrelated business income is the income from a
trade or business that is regularly carried on by
an exempt organization and that is not substan-
tially related to the performance by the organiza-
tion of its exempt purpose or function, except
that the organization uses the profits derived
from this activity."

The IRS has declared, "Nonprofit organizations that are granted
Federal tax exemption based on their mission-related purposes
are allowed by the IRS, within certain limits, to generate income
from unrelated business activities."
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/97eounrl.pdf on pdf page 1. But, the
organization could, if it has more unrelated activities than
the IRS's vague "certain limit", be jeopardizing its exemption.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic