Nonprofit Law/Open Meeting Law, Boys and Girls Club

Question
I have been asked to participate on the Board of the local Boys and Girls Club and wish to know if the organization, which I believe is a 501 (C) (3) organization is subject to the open meeting law. Can you assist?

Answer
As for California's  law on Open Records and Open Meetings, the
Reporter's Committee for Freedom of the Press has links at:
http://www.rcfp.org/california-open-government-guide

specifically read at 1.B.4.a Open Records for "Nongovernmental
bodies receiving public funds or benefits" and the sections B5-B7
nearby have the applicable discussion. If none of those apply to
the organization , then the state open records law does not apply
to the organization.

specifically read at "Open Meetings" about 1/2 the way down the
left column at I.C.4 "Nongovernmental bodies receiving public funds
or benefits". If that does not apply to the organization (it does
not receive public funds or benefits) and none of the other
following  5 sections  (C5-D9) apply to the organization, then the
organization is not subject to the State Open Meetings law.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic