Nonprofit Law/Proxy

Question
What constitues the legal structure of PROXY form for
nonprofit organization?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issue is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I may be able to direct you.

As you wrote from Texas, I am assuming you are referring to a Texas Nonprofit Corporation.  If you are not, let me know with a follow-up and I will reply further.

The Texas Code sections for "Nonprofit Corporations" are available at
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/BO/htm/BO.22.htm and specifically note Sec. 22.160

--- Start of Excerpt ---
(a)  Each member of a corporation, regardless of class, is entitled to one vote on each matter submitted to a vote of the corporation's members, except to the extent that the voting rights of members of a class are limited, enlarged, or denied by the certificate of formation or bylaws of the corporation.
(b)  A member may vote in person or, unless otherwise provided by the certificate of formation or bylaws, by proxy executed in writing by the member or the member's attorney-in-fact.
(c)  Unless otherwise provided by the proxy, a proxy is revocable and expires 11 months after the date of its execution.  A proxy may not be irrevocable for longer than 11 months.
(d)  If authorized by the certificate of formation or bylaws of the corporation, a member vote on any matter may be conducted by mail, by facsimile transmission, by electronic message, or by any combination of those methods.
--- End of Excerpt ---
http://goo.gl/ygQSa9

I am assuming that the articles of incorporation and bylaws of the organization do not address at all "proxy voting".  If there is something in either of those documents, I would need the exact wording.

There is no particular form required, therefore, but it must be in writing, but that writing may be in an "electronic message" (email). A good sample may be found at:
http://www.internationalwindsurfing.com/userfiles/documents/Proxy_Vote_Form.pdf

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic