Nonprofit Law/PUBLIC SCHOOL TAX EXEMPT STATUS

Question
PUBLIC SCHOOL TAX EXEMPT STATUS
This is a PTA group in NYC. We are exploring becoming incorporated to increase our fundraising capabilities.  As such we are contemplating filing for a charitable organization 501 (C) (3) tax exempt status, which would allow us to make tax deductible contributions as well as purchase insurance coverage to protect the PTA President and the organization.  Our concern is twofold: (1) would the IRS allow a public school PTA to file for this tax exempt status? and (2)  Given  potential impact that this might have on the school, i.e. embezzlement/corruption of funds effecting school closure, etc.  should the entire school population be polled instead of just the PTA meeting attendees?

Answer
A PTA group may be affiliated with a public or private school but still it is considered, if organized separately as you proposed by incorporation under the New York Not-for-Profit Corporation law, to be a private nonprofit.  1. The IRS would be able to grant 501(c)(3) organization status to such an organization. 2. Before incorporating you would want to arrange with the school board an agreement as to the relationship. In fact, most school boards already have regulations relating to nonprofit organizations that want to fundraise for the school. Unless the school board requires it, you would not need to poll the entire school population.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com
Member of New York Bar

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic