Nonprofit Law/501 C3 buys the C7 property along with a tavern area

Question
Harvey,

One of my AD DOC committees asked if it's possible for 501 C3 to purchase or rent 501C7's property with a tavern that has TABC license?  or can rent the part of the building without the bar?

Thank you.
Hector

Answer
A 501(c)(3) organization may not purchase or rent a property for more than the market rate.  But the question is what activities that 501(c)(3) organization will be doing in the new property and whether they are exclusively charitable, educational or religious activities.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic