Nonprofit Law/Earmarked funds

Question
I have been a part of a church (501 c3 organization). We have been in existence for about 20 years. Through the years we have asked for funds for a building fund to be used at a later date. Along the way we have used some of those funds. Many people who gave have left and some have died...  Many we are uncertain where they are. Out of state etc.  Due to difficult times the church may need to close. Can we disperse the funds on an as needs basis: for other bills, etc. Or what recourse do we have with these earmarked funds?

Answer
I am assuming from what you wrote, that the church never signed an agreement with the donors that, if the funds were not used for the building fund, they would be returned to the donors.  Please confirm.  Also let me know whether the church is an Ohio Nonprofit Corporation. After you give me that information I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic