Nonprofit Law/Mandatory Donation vs. Tuition

Question
My son was attending a 501c3 school just for children with autism, which had requested us to donate funds monthly.  It was advised to us that they had no tuition, but that they requested the donations to keep the school running as they were purely donation run.

Due to the school not having advised me that they are not accredited and other issues, I moved my child the beginning of this school year.  I have received in the mail today a letter stating that I didn't make the minimum mandatory donations that were required from our family and that now if I do not make payment they will be sending me to collections.

Are mandatory donations legal?  Can I fight them on this as it wasn't called tuition in any of the documents they provided to me?  Or am I out of luck?

Thank you.

Answer
A school may be involved in conspiracy to evade taxes if it tries to call required payments from families as donations. See www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopice96.pdf
which has examples of donations to schools that might be not
deductible as they appear to be tuition payments, which are similar
to your situation as the taxpayer has a child who is a beneficiary
of the 501(c)(3) organization. Especially note on page 2
---Start of Excerpt--
However, solicitation for contributions from parents of applicants
are made during enrollment of students or while the application is
pending, and children of parents who do not make or pledge a
"contribution" in the specified amount are not accepted. In
Situation 3, the organization admits or readmits a significantly
larger percentage of applicants whose parents made contributions
than applicants whose parents have not made contributions.
---End of Excerpt--

In any case, you wrote to me that you were never provided with anything in writing indicating such payments were mandatory, so you would not be liable for those payments.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic