Nonprofit Law/For Profit Business in a Church

Question
I am a member of a church and have asked to rent a small amount of space (about 450 sq. ft.) in the church for my consignment business. Are there any tax implications for the church? I file my own business taxes, have my own insurance and EIN. Aside from rent, the church would benefit from donations which I would consign on behalf of the church. I've tried to understand the various IRS regulations, but there are so many exceptions. Simply put, are there any issues with renting space to run a private, for profit consignment shop in a church?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. The IRS would not want the church renting the space to you for less than the market rate. Otherwise, it would appear that they would be engaging in some activity that is not charitable, educational or religious.

Even though this forum is not for such state law issues,I will inform you that the church will lose property tax exemption on the space they rent to you.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com
Member of New York Bar.

P.S. This response s intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic