Nonprofit Law/501(9)(C)(3) Status for Residential Coop Garden in NY

Question
I am on the Gardening Committee of an large NYC residential cooperative.  About half our the grounds are in the form of a garden.  There are no driveways.  The walkways are open to the public.  The public is welcome to sit on our benches and enjoy the garden, which is maintained both by a hired yard firm that does certain basic work such as mowing, and resident-volunteers who do most of the gardening.  The co-op board pays for the yard firm and many plants.  Several residents have asked if they can contribute money to the garden instead of volunteer labor.  WE have no mechanism to accept such funds, and no way to assure that such donations are set aside for the gardens, as opposed to being allocated to other needs of the co-op.  Would it be possible for us to form a 501(C)(3) corporation to accept such donations?. Would it be wise?

Answer
Sometimes the IRS approves 501(c)(3) organization status for gardens on private property, but it depends, in large part, on whether the primary purpose is for public or private benefits. An extensive discussion by the IRS of the private benefit issue
relating to 501(c)(3) organizations is found at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopich01.pdf
and especially on page three as to private property improvements.

I would think that it may be wise to try for such status, but first I would need to analyze your drawings and the public access and public invitations and that would be beyond the scope of my offer of free services.  If you want to inquire about hiring me for such work, please contact me directly to the email address below.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com
Member of New York Bar

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic