Nonprofit Law/501(c)3 for Individual Benefit

Question
Dear Sir,

My daughter is an aspiring gymnast and her coaches believe she has the potential to go very far. The cost of elite-level gymnastics instruction is cost prohibitive and we have thus been involved in fundraising (via candy sales). However we are at a point that this fundraising, however valiant, will no longer come close to closing the financial gap. We therefore are looking at finding corporate sponsorships.

Our question is, can we set up a nonprofit 501(c)3 corporation for the benefit of our daughter so that potential business sponsors can make a tax deductible contribution. We are wanting to make such contributions as attractive as possible.

We also like the idea of having an official name of an organization in her behalf.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

-scott

Answer
No.  See pdf  page 13 of
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3833.pdf under the heading
"Charitable Class
--start of excerpt  ---
The group of individuals that may properly receive
assistance from a charitable organization is called a charitable
class. A charitable class must be large or sufficiently indefinite
enough that  the community as a whole, rather than a pre-selected
group of people, benefits when a charity provides assistance.
--end of excerpt  ---
More details are found starting at pdf page 6 of
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopick99.pdf

See also page 10 and onward of
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicc93.pdf

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic