Nonprofit Law/charity

Question
our organization has yearly dances. This is our 8th year. We raise approx. $5.000.00 per dance. We give $3500.00 to a school for scholarships and put away $1500.00 for the following year's expenses to do another dance. All the work in done by volunteers from our committee. Do we need to file to the IRS? We do have an EIN number. We do not have a 501c3. Do we need one?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. In order to be treated by the IRS as a nonprofit organization, your group would need certain required clauses in the organizational document even if your organization is not required to apply for federal exemption if you want the benefits of being an exempt organization. For example, for 501(c)(3) organizations, see, starting in the middle column of page 26 of Publication 557  under "Organizational Test". Samples start on page 77. Also you must operate as a 501(c)(3) organization (see that publication 557 for the general
rules).

Let me know if you have such clauses in your organizational document and, after you give me that information, I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic