Nonprofit Law/Discipline at a non-profit club

Question
Our Club is changing it's Bylaws and we wanted to streamline the Discipline process. Are there specifics we need to follow or can we make it anything we deem necessary? . We are in California if that makes a difference.
Thanks

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issue is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I will direct you.  If the organization is a California Nonprofit then you would want to consult the law.
http://goo.gl/Zm9Z6  starting at section 5002 is the California
Nonprofit Corporation's law and specifically starting at 5110 is
the law for Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporations.
specifically starting at 7110 is the law
for Nonprofit Mutual Benefit Corporations.

Generally, discipline is up to the organization unless it is funded by a governmental entity.

Note that a lot of organizations have made mistakes in their bylaws. You may want to read a critique,"Disorder From Robert's Rules of Order"
http://tinyurl.com/492fzyv which recommends excluding Robert's Rules of Order Chapter XX regarding disciplinary proceedings, if the organization uses Robert's Rules.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic