Nonprofit Law/donation vs. fee

Question
Im a senior that love to go to a comunity center in lake mary city. This organization belong to the city hall goverment .They offer exercises class and i enjoing to be with people , most of the senior there live of the social security  pension...when you enter to the senior lobby to sign in they  have a 'donation box' there , but they force you to pay a fee for every class . We pay taxes to the goverment  for this services, and this services suppose to be free. Why the put the word 'donation' and then the remind you all the time pay for the class. Sometime is more that 50 seniors there and they ask for every class 1-2 dollars. They offers 3-5  class daily x 5 days in the week. I think is not fair, some senior stop coming to the class. The goverment 'City Hall Community Center' had the rigth to ask people for donation or fee?. I had the rigth to ask where the money go? Thk for you answer.

Answer
The IRS has written on page 1 (first column under "Introduction")
in their publication 526 "Charitable Donations", which is available
at: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf "A charitable contribution is
a donation or gift to, or for the use of, a qualified organization.
It is voluntary and is made without getting, or expecting to get,
anything of equal value."

That conclusion is supported by  Singer Co. v. United States, 449
F.2d 413, 418, 196 Ct.Cl. 90 (1971), citing to a House Report

In an Internal Memorandum from the year 2000,"Fund Raising Issues:"
the IRS explained further, "where a payment is made in return for
an item or benefit, the presumption is that such payment is the
purchase price and not a gift."
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/topict00.pdf on page 12

Therefore, the part above the required fees is a donation, but not the required amount.  The agency, absent some local law, may certainly charge for its services, like a community pool may have a charge for use. As Florida's state law on Open Records, the Reporter's Committee for Freedom of the Press has links to your state's laws at:
http://www.rcfp.org/florida-open-government-guide

If you request them to give you a financial report, they are obligated to comply.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic