You are here:

Nonprofit Law/Family Reunion fundraiser


Hello,we are wanting to have a few fundraiser's to offset the cost of expenses for out family reunion that we have every two years. I'm understanding that we will need to obtain a 501c3 in order to have fundraiser's. My question is does family reunions qualify as non profits and if so how can we obtain this number.

Family reunions do not qualify as 501(c)(3) organizations.
See the IRS explanation at
---Start of Excerpt--
In Matter of Beekman, 232 N.Y. 365, 134 N.E. 183 (1922), a corporation organized to educate
descendants of William Beekman, who came to America in 1647, and for other purposes, did not qualify as a charitable corporation under state law. The court noted that, "[T]he purpose of confining the benefits of this large estate to members of one family or family tree indicates that it is not a public charity, but a private and rather personal purpose, which
permeates the whole."
---End of Excerpt--

However, your family may be able to obtain another type of nonprofit status. The IRS writes about the 501(c)(7) recreational or social organizations at
Please note that donations to such organizations are not deductible by the donors. on page 72 - last column "Contributions Deductible" - No

Also such an organization may be granted and be able to maintain exempt status easily only if it does not receive more than 35% of its gross receipts from outside its membership and receives no more than 15% of its gross receipts from nonmember use of club facilities.

If you think your group would qualify, then let me know and I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.