Nonprofit Law/fundraising for non profit 501

Question
Harvey,

I know you deal with public charities, however i was on the itnernet and saw a blog where you gave some advise to a gymastic team parent. I ahve a similiar question if you woudl be kind enough to answer.
  My daughter is on a competitive cheer team, they are going on a trip and are doing a fundraiser. The fundraiser works like this, each girl gets a business to sponsor them and part of the sponsors money goes to offset costs for the girl and advertising the business name on flyers, shirts and banners. The President of the boosters said the checks can not be written to the booseters organization as it is for individual girls. if i read your previous blog correctly, a pass through account through the booseters would allow this. am i correct or did i read this wrong.

Answer
A pass-through account is ok, but then the sponsors should be informed that their payments donations are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.  
As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable
Donations"  which is available at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf
on page 6 where the IRS lists as not deductible "Contributions to
individuals who are needy or worthy. This includes contributions to
a qualified organization if you indicate that your contribution is
for a specific person."

Also note that the 501(c)(3) booster organization is not allowed to give the sponsors an acknowledgement of a donation.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic