You are here:

Nonprofit Law/hard copy receipt for donation


I gave a substantial amount of $ to a church in another state, did not receive paper giving record.  They said I would have to go online, set up an account and print my own. I choose not to do that.  All the donation were checks by mail.  What does law require for this?  Thank you!

which is IRS Publication "Charitable Contributions --
Substantiation and Disclosure Requirements" for the 501(c)(3) organizations.
It appears from what you wrote that you did not receive anything in return for the funds that you sent to the church. Especially note, on page 5, "An organization that does not acknowledge a contribution incurs no penalty; but, without a written acknowledgment, the donor cannot claim
the tax deduction."

Therefore, the church is definitely within the law as to their procedures. You may want to read the rest of that page if what you obtain from the online site of the church is not sufficient for IRS purposes and then you can cite the relevant section to the church, which undoubtedly would want to assist you with your issues.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.