Nonprofit Law/Can we raise money for a contest?

Question
I work with a 501c3 organization. We are interested in having a film contest to raise awareness about our cause.

If we fundraise $5000 from sponsors, then award that as a cash prize to someone (an individual) is that legal? Are the donations tax deductible to the donors?

Answer
I would need to know how the film contest would raise awareness about your cause.  Is the content of the films going to be something that would further one of your purposes?  If not, are you determining that the publicity your organization receives from having the contest would attract attention to your cause?

Are the sponsors going to be giving funds to sponsor a particular individual entering the contest? After you give me the above information I will reply further.  I am assuming that the decision on who will win the contest will be based upon the content of the particular film and not on chance (like a draw).

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic