Nonprofit Law/Selling hot dogs as a fundraiser

Question
I own a for-profit bookstore that is in partnership with a non-profit art gallery.  Can we host community picnics with proceeds from hot dog and soda sales going to support non-profit art gallery?

Thank you!

Mike Olson
Reading Frenzy BookShop
readingfrenzymn.com

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Therefore, I am assuming that you are referring to the art gallery being a 501(c)(3) organization.  The principle that must be followed is that the for-profit can benefit the 501(c)(3) organization, but the 501(c)(3) organization may not, more than in an insubstantial degree, benefit the for-profit entity. An extensive discussion by the IRS of the private benefit issue
relating to 501(c)(3) organizations is found at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopich01.pdf

www.after-prom.org/state_charity_contacts.html
has links to the state offices that regulate charitable
organizations and charitable solicitations.

You would also need to your consider state' charitable solicitation
regulations.
http://www.ag.state.mn.us/Charities/GuideCharityLaws.asp

Many cities and counties also have registration and disclosure
statutes. Particular kinds of fundraising activities are
frequently subject to special local regulations. Food sales are also regulated.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic