Nonprofit Law/Sharing space with a non profit

Question
I belong to a horse and bull riding club. We have been sharing our space with a local pastor who has been hosting Sunday service with us. Recently the question has come up as too what is the legality of our sharing space with the church? Ie. can we a not for profit entity share our space with the non profit church. what is the law on this as far as maintaining our club seperate from the church.We are located in Oklahoma.Please I hope I have expressed my question coherently as I am pretty Ignorant too this particular topic.

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. It appears that your organization is a 501(c)(7) recreational or social organizations at which the IRS writes about at: http://www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-007.html

Even though your organization would be a c7 I will give you the following information.

Those types of organizations may be granted and be able to maintain exempt status easily only if it does not receive more than 35% of its gross receipts from outside its membership and receives no more than 15% of its gross receipts from nonmember use of club facilities. http://www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-007.html#d0e461

If, in fact, your organization is a 501(c)(3) organization, let me know and also let me know the amount of rent that you are receiving and whether you own your space and, if so, whether you own it outright or have some mortgage balance.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic