Nonprofit Law/Volunteers

Question
I work for a dance studio that is a 501c3 charitable organization. We put on two annual dance shows in which we seek parent volunteers.  We ask that they volunteer during a show or pay a $25 waiver.  In addition, we ask them to sell a minimum of $20 advertising in the show program.  If they do not sell the advertising, we charge them a $20 fee.  Are these requirements and fees legal?

In addition, are we able to accept donations that the donor says must specifically benefit a certain dancer/student?

Answer
Any work that is in lieu of payments is taxable as employment taxes. There is no exception applicable to your situation. As the IRS writes at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/fringe_benefit_fslg.pdf on page 74
(it generally takes a while to load as it is a 91 page pdf file):
--start of excerpt  ---
The use of the term "volunteer" generally has no significance in
applying the tax law....
A volunteer is an employee if an entity has the right to direct
and control the volunteer's performance, not only as to the results
to be accomplished, but also as to the methods by which the results
are accomplished.  It is the "right" to control, even if the entity
does not exercise the right, that is important. Many factors in an
employment relationship have to be considered before a decision can
be made as to whether the entity has the right to direct and
control.
---End of Excerpt---

In June of 2011 the  IRS wrote:
---Start of Excerpt--
If a booster club confers a benefit on a participant in return for
their fundraising activities, such as by crediting amounts raised
by a participant toward that participant's dues requirement, or by
crediting amounts raised against the cost of a trip, the booster
club is providing a private benefit to that participant.
Consequently, such practices could result in the organization
failing to be described in 501(c)(3).
---End of Excerpt---
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/booster_club_field_directive_6-27.pdf

The IRS continued in the next paragraph,

"It is also possible that amounts credited to a participant's
account due to fundraising would constitute income from services,
and could result in employment taxes."

That applies to other organizations.  

As for the payments earmarked for a particular individual, those are not considered by the IRS as charitable donations and the organization could not, therefore, give acknowledgements of a donation.  As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable
Donations"  which is available at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf
on page 6 where the IRS lists as not deductible "Contributions to
individuals who are needy or worthy. This includes contributions to
a qualified organization if you indicate that your contribution is
for a specific person."

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law - Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic