Nonprofit Law/W-9 and 1099

Question
I run a very small nonprofit organization and last year we hired a small firm to provide marketing and planning assistance.  I am uncertain whether I should have had them fill out a W-9 or if I can merely use that as an expense on my budget.  We are a small organization with no employees but frequently contract work and services with artists and business.  Please advise me if I should have them fill out the W-9 and if I need to provide them a 1099.

Thanks much.
Susan Boecher
Director
OverExposure

Answer
The W-9 form with instructions is at:
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf
and, on the right column of page 1 you see that, for certain purposes, the taxpayer (merchant) may require a payee's EIN (Employer Identification Number, also known as the taxpayer
identification number). That is on page one in the first column under the heading
"Purpose of Form":
--- Start of Excerpt ---
A person who is required to file an information return with the IRS
must obtain your correct taxpayer identification number (TIN) to
report, for example, income paid to you, real estate transactions,
mortgage interest you paid, acquisition or abandonment of secured
property, cancellation of debt, or contributions you made to an
IRA.
---End of Excerpt---

First you would want to find out if that small firm is a corporation. See  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc.pdf which is the IRS'
instructions for form 1099-Misc. on the right column of page 1:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Exceptions.  Some payments do not have to be reported
on Form 1099-MISC, although they may be taxable to the
recipient. Payments for which a Form 1099-MISC is not
required include all of the following.
Generally, payments to a corporation.
---End of Excerpt---

If you do not need to file a Form 1099-Misc, for example, if the payee is a corporation, then you would not need to file any information return, unless you paid in a large amount of cash ($10,000, even if structured).  If you do not need to file an information return, then you would not need the payee's EIN and, therefore, you would not need to request them to complete a W-9 for you.

Harvvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harveyy108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic