Nonprofit Law/Booster Club

Question
Our high school athletic booster club is wanting to start giving scholarships to high school athletes.  What do we need to do if any as far  as taxes or the IRS goes.  Do we have to set up a scholarship fund can we just pay it out of our general account? We plan on giving four $1000 scholarships.

Answer
You need advance approval from the IRS for your method of giving
scholarships if you want assurance that your procedure is not going
to be called illegal by the IRS.

For organizations granting scholarships,  Schedule H of the IRS
Exemption Application needs to be completed and evidence needed as
starting at the bottom of page 25 of Publication 557 at
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf
and you can see there the issues that the IRS is concerned with.

See the Application for Exemption
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1023.pdf on pdf page 28 for that
Schedule H

in the right column on the first page under "Form 1023 not
necessary" discusses what types of organizations do not need to
file and among those is "Any organization that has gross receipts
in each taxable year of normally not more than $5,000."

It may come out of your general funds, as long as your Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws do not  prohibit such.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic