Nonprofit Law/Booster Scholarship

Question
Harvey,

Thank you for volunteering your time to assist non-profits.

In a non-member 501(c)(3) high school sports booster organization that annually awards a scholarship to a team senior, can that scholarship be awarded to the child of an officer of the organization board?  Parents of senior players are not at all involved in the selection process.  The scholarship recipient is voted on by team players under the direct supervision of the coach and the further supervision of board members who are not parents of seniors.

Thank you.

Answer
You need advance approval from the IRS for your method of giving
scholarships if you want assurance that your procedure is not going
to be called illegal by the IRS.

For organizations granting scholarships,  Schedule H of the IRS
Exemption Application needs to be completed and evidence needed as
starting at the bottom of page 25 of Publication 557 at
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf
and you can see there the issues that the IRS is concerned with.

It appears from what you wrote that the main issue is called "charitable class".
See pdf  page 13 of
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3833.pdf under the heading
"Charitable Class
--start of excerpt  ---
The group of individuals that may properly receive
assistance from a charitable organization is called a charitable
class. A charitable class must be large or sufficiently indefinite
enough that the community as a whole, rather than a pre-selected
group of people, benefits when a charity provides assistance.
--end of excerpt  ---
More details are found starting at pdf page 6 of
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopick99.pdf

It would not be an additional issue that the team players vote for the recipient who then turns out to be an officer of the charitable organization (your booster organization).

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic