Nonprofit Law/Church members asking for donations for church projectds

Question
Iím a member of a 501c3 church group that has members all over the country. There is a non-church-sponsored email group made up of many members of the church (not all).  

Occasionally someone will put out a posting asking if anyone wants to donate money to have some small project done, usually at our national church headquarters.  It's usually some beautification project or similar.  Occasionally, it's someone asking if anyone would like to help some member who is in need. None of these solicitations are "official," ie, they are not endorsed or put out by the national board.

The president of the national board often responds to these solicitations by telling people not to do that, and if they do, they could be jeopardizing our IRS tax exempt status.  Doesn't sound right to me.  What do you think?

Answer
The notices should make it clear that they are not from the church and that donations to help a member are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.  As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations"  which is available at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf
on page 6 where the IRS lists as not deductible "Contributions to individuals who are needy or worthy. This includes contributions to a qualified organization if you indicate that your  contribution is for a specific person."

But, since the email group is not a church entity, communications on it will not jeopardize the church exemption. If you show my answer to the president of the national board and he or she does not believe me, then ask for a citation to the law and I will then respond to it.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic