Nonprofit Law/Combined event - for profit & nonprofit entities

Question
Greetings,

I was wondering if it is possible to have an event that is cosponsored by both a for profit and a nonprofit (501 C3) organization?  We are looking at combining a golf tourney that would be sponsored by our local Chamber of Commerce as well as by a nonprofit sports fundraising group at a local high school.

Is it possible to have a combined event and to designate which donations or sponsorships go to the nonprofit side?

Thanks!!

Doug

Answer
Usually Chambers of Commerce are organized under state law as nonprofits and, further, as 501(c)(6) organizations about which you can read at www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-006.html

Please confirm that the Chamber of Commerce is, in fact, a for-profit organization and after you give me that information I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic