Nonprofit Law/exemptions and 501C3

Question
I work with a 501C3 community organization that has members. The organization is in Pennsylvania. Recently a third of our board resigned due to policy differences. Two questions:
1) Is there a minimum number of officers required to maintain our 501C(3) status?

2) If we are denied state exemption status under 501C(3)because our programming lacks educational or service provisions as determined by local courts, can we get state exemption under another statue,such as c(4) or C(7).We are a swim club providing recreational swimming.We are upgrading our programming to include more public service, workshops and educational formats.

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. But I will give you some information as to the State law.

1. I am assuming your organization is a corporation. You may search (Control-F in Windows) on
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/15/15.HTM
for "5301" (without the quotes) at about 40% of the way down that
page  to go to section 5301 which is the start of the Pennsylvania
Statutes for Nonprofit Corporation law.

Specifically see down at section 5732 the description of the required officers.
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/15/00.057.032.000..HTM

2.  I have never seen and I don't believe I will ever see, any state that does not allow a nonprofit to amend its Articles of Incorporation to become a c4 or c7.

I would be willing to work on your matter, but I would need to spend a substantial amount of time analyzing your program and that would be beyond the scope of my offer of free services.  If you want to inquire about hiring me for such work, please contact me directly to the email address below.  

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic